Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 3: Cremona…Sort of

Today turned out a bit differently than anticipated, but was still great. As I’m still a bit jet-lagged, I didn’t wake-up to go to the grocery store with Christine this morning. I got up when she got back and got ready for my first day adventuring on my own.

I walked to the train station and got my ticket for Cremona. I got off the train and finally managed to get my Io Viaggio pass for traveling. The ladies in Cremona were much nicer than the lady in Brescia. I had no idea where to go from the train station so I just started walking. I somehow managed to start walking the right direction and eventually found some signs that pointed me in the direction of the museum I was trying to get to.

As I was walking along, I couldn’t help but notice that nothing was open. It was around lunch time and Italy has a similar siesta time where the shops close so I just figured it might be that time of the day. I eventually made it to the Museo de Stradivariano, the Museum of Stradivarius, the maker of violins. He was from Cremona and there’s a whole museum of some of his violins, compositions and other documents. I went to the information window to buy a ticket and of course the museum is closed on Mondays.

It seems that the whole town of Cremona sleeps on Mondays, it wasn’t just break time. There were a few shops open here and there, but for the most part, everything was closed. While wandering trying to find a place to eat lunch, I stumbled upon a store that sold crazy sheet sets. I’m not too crazy about the kitty, but the bunny is adorable! What do you guys think, should I get a new comforter for my apartment next year?

I found a nice little outdoor café where I had a tomato and mozzarella sandwich, which of course, was delicious. In the square with the café, there was also a statue of Stradivarius and a child with a violin:

I traversed the streets of Cremona some more, looking for something else to do. I came upon Piazza Roma, which was a nice little square that had a park feel to it. I was walking along when an older gentleman called out to me. We talked a little bit, and by talk I mean I kind of shrugged trying to understand what he was saying and responded with the few words of Italian I know. I’m beginning to notice that everyone you meet wants to take a picture with you and I figure why not have a bunch of random pictures with Italians? So here I am with the guy who told me his name, but it was in the midst of other Italian words and said quickly so I didn’t catch it:

Adjacent to Piazza Roma was a gelateria. I believe I’ve made it my mission to try every flavor of gelato offered that I can. Today I had biscotto and caramel. I liked the biscotto better, but the caramel was also very good. It’s a good thing I’m doing so much walking every day otherwise I’d gain a thousand pounds here.

After a while, I made my way back to the train station figuring I’d see Cremona when it’s more alive on another day. Back in Manerbio, I met up with Christine at the café we went to yesterday. We talked about her day at work and my day in Cremona.

We ate dinner in tonight. Christine made a delicious risotto that we enjoyed while watching Rules of Engagement. We watched an episode of Psych and now I’m planning my day for tomorrow: Bergamo and (if I have time) Como.

No comments:

Post a Comment