Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 27: Pisa and Lucca

I got a little bit more sleep today because the coughing girl is gone. It still is too hot to sleep well though. It’s crazy how warm it gets in the bedroom. The hallway is easily ten degrees cooler than the bedroom. Despite the heat, I got enough sleep for the day!

I went into the Duomo this morning. It was actually a little bit disappointing. I’m not used to walking into a church and not seeing a painted ceiling. It’s huge inside, but other than that kind of plain. There is a really nice fresco over the altar though.

After the Duomo, I hopped a train to Pisa. The Leaning Tower is so cool. I’ve seen it before, but it’s still awesome. Also, amazing that it’s still standing. It really looks like it will just fall over on you. 

The Leaning Tower is in a large plaza called the Plaza of Miracles. The duomo and the baptistery are also right next to it, with a lovely grass area where you can sit and have lunch or just relax. Every respectable church has a baptistery next to it. They’re just as impressive as the churches themselves. 

I sat on the steps of the duomo and ate my lunch while watching the countless numbers of children run around. Apparently Pisa is the place to bring the kids. Most of them had a blast just running around the grass and giggling. I was thoroughly entertained.

I wandered around Pisa for a little longer and then caught a train to Lucca. Lucca is a really cool little city surrounded by a wall. 

The church of San Martino has one of the coolest outsides I’ve seen so far. 

There’s also the “remains” of a Roman Amphitheatre. By remains I mean there are buildings in a circular formation around what at one point in time was an amphitheatre. It was still cool. By this time, I was pretty tired so I got on the train back to Florence. An hour later I was walking back to the hostel. I made myself some pasta for dinner and watched Monster’s Inc. It’s nice to have a little touch of home every now and again. I spent a good portion of last night looking through old pictures from high school. It was actually a good cure for home sickness.

Tomorrow, I’m off to Rome to meet up with Tommy G! Later in the week Trent is supposed to be coming to visit too! Hopefully, it all works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment