Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Day 24: Laggo d’Idro (date of visit: 6/27/2011)

Today we slept in. It was glorious. It’s funny that sleeping in for me is now 8:30. I’ve gotten so used to getting up between 6 and 7 that actually staying asleep until 8 or 9 is proving difficult. Despite being so awake it’s still a challenge to actually get myself out of bed. Anyway, we took the bus into Brescia and had some time so we grabbed breakfast at a Sicilian bakery. I had oh-so nutritious cannolis. Super delicious cannolis I might add. Christine had a rather large donut that looked quite tasty.

We got on the bus towards Idro and this time correctly made the change! We were successful in our quest! Idro is gorgeous and not really on any tourist’s map so it was quiet and peaceful. 

We walked around the lake a bit and then went in search for somewhere to eat lunch. The place we ended up had a country radio station playing, which was incredibly strange. I honestly thought I was back in Texas for a minute. It was a little unsettling eating my sandwich to Tim McGraw in Italy. We left the land of country music and headed around to a different side of the lake.

We plopped ourselves down on a lovely bench and enjoyed the view of the lake and the beautiful day. Eventually, Christine asked when the bus came and of course it drove around the corner right as she said it. We ran to the stop, but we were too far away. It was also the last bus at that stop for the day. We have really good luck like that.

We went back into what I guess you would call the center of town, and found another stop to get back. After an hour wait, we were on our way back to Brescia and then to Manerbio. For my farewell dinner, Christine took me back to Regina Major, currently my favorite pizza place and we had delicious pizzas for dinner. 

On our walk back, I was delighted to find an Italian “pick-up truck”. I’ve been trying to take a picture of one since I first saw one but usually they’re driving down the road so I don’t have time. But I finally saw one parked! They’re the most adorable little trucks I’ve ever seen. And only three wheels! 

We continued on home and relaxed for the rest of the night. Tomorrow, I have to get up at 4:45AM so I can stop in Genova to get my sunglasses and then head to Florence. I’m going to miss my time with Christine. It was great fun exploring with her. I’ll see her again this weekend in Rome and then when I get back to Texas, so it’s not goodbye forever. I’ll be in Florence the next three days and then I’ll head down to Rome!

No comments:

Post a Comment