Friday, June 24, 2011

Day 21: Gargnano

I would call today a successful failure. Christine and I originally intended to go to Idro today, which is a little town on a tiny lake. In our attempt to get there, we ended up missing the place to change buses and went to Gargnano instead, what I assume is an equally nice town on Lake Garda. It’s certainly very beautiful with the mountains right next to the lake.

From Manerbio, it took almost three hours to get there so we were hungry and ready for lunch. We ate a little café literally on the lake. We were on a deck that was over the water, which was awesome. This was the view from our table:

So we had a lovely lunch and went exploring around the town. We soon found out that it’s quite small and there isn’t a whole lot to do; although, we did find a little beach area where we dipped our feet in. The water was freezing though and “beaches” are really just areas with lots of rocks. It was still a nice little place to cool off.

We headed back to the bus stop and back to Brescia. There were still some parts of Brescia I hadn’t seen so we wandered around there until dinner time. Our first stop was Piazza Arnoldo. I think he looks more like a wizard than anything else, but here is his statue:

On our way to the ruins of an old forum we passed by a little hobby shop that had trains in the window. They reminded me of my childhood even though they were cheap plastic trains, not like the fancy metal electric ones I got to play with growing up.

Eventually, we made it to the ruins. I really like seeing ruins and imagining what they might once have been. This little arch is pretty much all that’s left of these particular ruins. 

We still had some time before the restaurant opened for dinner so we went into a super fancy grocery store. It had four stories!!! Definitely the biggest grocery store I’ve ever been in. All the food looked really fancy too. Especially the GIANT shell pastas. 

After the grocery store, we went to the 9/11 memorial park. Italy seems to be very sympathetic to that even. It was a lovely park. Then it was time for food!!! We went to a little pizzeria that Christine really likes and I soon found out why. I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that I will never be able to eat pizza again after I leave this country. It’s very sad, but definitely worth it. The pizza is indescribably delicious. 

Tomorrow, I’m off to Genoa and then Cinque Terre on Sunday. I won’t have my computer until Monday so no posts ‘til then! Have a good weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment