Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Day 26: Firenze

I’m thoroughly enjoying my time in Italy, but I am quite excited at the prospect of sleeping in my bed in my nice quiet air conditioned bed when I get back. I didn’t get much sleep last night due to the horribly uncomfortable pillow, the heat, and the girl who coughed all night long. I kind of felt bad for her because she seemed pretty sick, but I’m also going to be really mad if I get sick.

Other than the crazy night, this hostel is particularly nice because it’s right in the city. Today was the first day I didn’t have to get on a train or a bus and travel to where I was trying to get to. It was pretty nice being able to get up and go straight into the city. I found myself with an abundance of extra time.

I started the day by heading towards the duomo. On my way there, I passed the Ponte Vecchio (Old Bridge) which is lined with little jewelry shops. 

I walked for a bit and then I was at the Duomo. It’s EPIC. I couldn’t fit all of it into one picture.

The dome is so high and can be seen from all over. The tower can also be seen. It’s a good way to keep your bearings if you’re lost. It’s really awesome. After that I wandered to the Uffizi and Piazza Vecchia. There’s a replica of the David and a bunch of other statues and fountains and such. 



By this time I was getting hungry, so I headed back to the hostel to make myself some lunch. After lunch I went back to wandering around. There’s so much to see here. There are statues around every corner and random things that you’d never expect to see. For instance, I saw people dismantling a carousel today. It was actually pretty cool to watch. There were also some living statues near the Uffizi that were neat. 

With all of my extra time, I found a nice park and sat and read for a few hours. That’s one of my favorite things to do here. There are so many nice places to just sit and relax. I’ve gotten a lot of reading done on this trip. I love having time and not feeling guilty for not doing a homework assignment. Although, I do have homework that I should be working on…but it’s not due for another two months and I’m on vacation!

I headed back to the hostel to cool off and catch up on blog posts. All caught up now, yay! I had a deliciously un-nutritious dinner of salami, cheese, and bruschetta. There’s even some left over for lunch tomorrow! Tomorrow’s itinerary includes Pisa, Lucca, and if there’s time, Fiesole.

No comments:

Post a Comment