Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 17: Parma

Today was kind of an epic failure. Christine and I had planned to go into Parma early in the morning, but through a series of random complications (broken doors, car keys, and crazy train schedules) didn’t end up getting there until around 3PM.

By the time we finally made it we were starving! A friend of hers had recommended a restaurant to her so we went in search for it. It took us almost forty minutes to find it only to see that it was closed until dinner time. Apparently Mondays in Italy are kind of like an extra holiday. Things don’t open until way late or they just don’t open at all.

We eventually found a little café to eat it, which was a little disappointing because we had both been looking forward to a nice delicious meal in Parma. After eating lunch it was already almost 5PM and we had to catch the train at 6PM. We walked around for a little bit and found the famous cathedral. It was quite lovely inside.

Next to the cathedral there’s the baptistery which I liked because it had little animals sculpted all around the outside. 

By that point we had just enough time to grab a gelato and head back to the train station. The whole time Christine kept saying that something needed to happen to have made the trip worth it. I still enjoyed my day in Parma even if it was cut short by a crazy train schedule. The day had been pretty warm and we were both tired from the heat. We got back to the apartment where I made myself a little salad for dinner and tried to figure out what I’m doing tomorrow. I think I’m going to go to Pavia, which means super early morning for me (5:40AM)! So I must get to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment