Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 10: Venezia Part 1 (date: 6/13/2011)


Today was mostly traveling, but I did still manage to get lost :). I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s pretty much unavoidable in Venice. I got up and relaxed a bit during the morning before I caught the 2:00 train to Venice. I said goodbye to Maria and thanked her profusely for letting me stay with her.

The train ride to Venice was uneventful, but when I walked out of the train station I couldn’t help but smile at the view. The canal, the bridges, the beautifully colored buildings; just as I had remembered and still just as magical to me. 

I wasted a lot of time trying to find the shuttle to my hostel and finally ended up calling the place only to find out the shuttle wasn’t until much later. Less anxious about transportation, I headed into the city. Everywhere you look is a bridge and they’re all so different. The water of the canals gently laps against the buildings and rocking the boats tied outside the front door. 

It’s such a wonderful place! I wandered into S. Margherita square and sat down on a bench people watching. I was particularly enjoying a group of teeny-boppers, one of which seemed to be freaking out about a series of text messages I can only assume was from a boy. It was quite entertaining. There was another group of kids in a water balloon fight and other small children running around adorably.

I got up to find my way to other places and got myself incredibly lost. Venice is just one giant maze. You can usually find your way to a canal, but then you have to figure out what canal you’re at and where you actually are. I don’t have a map yet but that’s definitely something I’m going to need to get tomorrow. Every time I turned a corner there was another view of the canal that was better than the last. I wanted to take pictures of everything, but it was getting around the time I needed to get to the bus station and I still had no idea where I was or how I got there.

After asking for directions I was able to find my way back to the bus station to get to the hostel.
I’m staying at a camping hostel, the Alba d’Oro. So far it seems pretty alright for what little I paid for it. The room is tiny with three beds, but there’s a clean bathroom with toilet paper which is about all I need. I have two roommates who are from Australia. They are both very nice and we’ve been having a good time talking. They’ve been traveling for two months already all over Europe. They’ve got one month left, but both are already sad at the prospect of their travels ending. It’s been great having a conversation in English and with other travelers my age.

Everyone at this hostel seems to be Australian. The accents are wonderful. I’m really enjoying myself here! Tomorrow, I will have a full day in Venezia, probably getting more lost than I did today.

No comments:

Post a Comment