Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 15: Sirmione (date of visit: 6/18/2011)

Today was a wonderful day at the lake! Sirmione is a quaint little town on Lake Garda that is simply beautiful. I seem to be on a pretty regular schedule of getting up around 8AM, but I had to hang around until 10AM so I bummed around for a few hours. The bus I tried to take was at 10:40, but of course I managed to pick the one bus that doesn’t run on Saturday. The next bus wasn’t for another hour so I went and enjoyed the sunshine in the square to kill the time.

Following a bus ride, a train ride, and another bus, I made it to Sirmione. I got off the bus a little too early, but after lots of walking I came upon this:

The picture doesn’t really show how blue the water is. The day was a bit cloudy so the colors weren’t as vibrant, but the lake was amazing to see. There were even swans floating around. This picture better shows how clear the water is. 

I finally made it to the historic downtown area where there is an awesome castle! It’s right on the water too. I’m back to wanting a castle, but it has to be on a lake or an ocean now. 

I wandered around the tiny town for a little longer and came upon what I guess could be considered a beach. There wasn’t any sand though, just pebbles. And the “shore” was lined with rocks, but it was a nice place to sit and listen to the water crashing against the rocks.

I walked back a different way and passed a boulder that is “precariously” balanced above your head as you walk by. I think the boulder might be paper mache, but it’s still freaky standing under it. 

It was getting near time to leave so I could meet Christine in Brescia for dinner so I started walking back to the bus stop. This time I caught the bus at a much closer stop. On my walk back, the sidewalk was very narrow and I was stuck behind a rather sizeable woman wearing see-through white pants. It was an unfortunate place to be, but I scooted around her as fast as I could.

The bus back to Brescia took a little over an hour and then I met up with Christine for apertivo. Apertivo is a kind of happy hour for Italy. You get a drink and then there’s a kind of buffet of little finger foods. I had a fried meatball that tasted just like my grandma’s meatballs. There were also little pizza slices and bread with cheese and crudo on top. It was all very yummy and I tried prosecco which is a sparkling white wine; also, very tasty.

On our way to the restaurant we ran into one of Christine’s friends so she also joined us for apertivo. She’s very nice and speaks perfect English. After dinner we went to La peccera near (the black sheep) which is Christine’s favorite gelateria. I had fior di capri and stracciatella. Fior di capri is an ice cream made from goat’s milk and stracciatella is just chocolate chip. They were both quite delicious. I don’t think I’ve had goat’s milk before, but the ice cream was good.

We had some time to kill before we caught to the train so we went to the Freccia Rossa mall. On the way in we saw a guy with sparkly red cowboy boots that looked just like Dorothy’s magic shoes. I tried to get a picture, but he was too far away. We wandered around for a bit exploring the different stores. I saw one of those little kid pony rides where you put the quarter in and ride it, except this one was a camel. I’ve never seen a camel one before and found it necessary to document:

After the mall we headed home. All three of us were exhausted and ready to get back. Christine and I watched an episode of house and then were off to bed. Tomorrow we’re going to Salo, another little town on Lake Garda.

No comments:

Post a Comment