Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 38: Trent’s here!!!!! Also, Napoli! (date: 7/11/2011)

I got up early today so I could check to make sure Trent made his flight okay. I packed up my stuff and joyously left that camping village for the last time! I took the train back into Rome and to the train station to wait for Trent.

I wasn’t sure what train he was going to catch from the airport so I sat for a bit waiting. Eventually, I saw him through the crowd of people exiting the train. We met up and decided what to do next. The train schedule ended up deciding for us. Our train to Naples didn’t leave for another two hours so we took the metro to the Coliseum. 

Trent said he felt like he was in Disney world looking up at it. We walked all the way around it and the Arch of Constantine which is right next to it. Then we headed to the tomb of the Unknown Soldier which is nearby. I relayed what little knowledge I have of Rome as we walked around.

After the tomb we had to head back to the train station to catch the train to Rome, which, lucky for Trent was the most crowded train I’ve been on since I got here. There were very few seats and of course no air conditioning. To top it all off, we left 25 minutes late! I told Trent it was his fault because that had never happened to me before.

Once the train got moving it wasn’t so stiflingly hot. After an almost three hour train ride that was supposed to only take two and a half hours we made it to Naples. Trent slept a lot of the way. I remember how tired I was when I first got in and he doesn’t have enough time to adjust to the jet lag anyway. A short trip on another train to get to our hostel and we made it!

We took some time to relax in the hostel and then headed out for dinner. We found a really nice pizza place and Trent got to experience his first Italian pizza. I think he was very pleased. Naples is the birthplace of pizza so it only makes sense that it would be incredibly delicious here.

After dinner we went back to the hostel, which is totally awesome! It used to be an old Fabric factory and has since been converted. The rooms are really nice and the whole place is clean with great staff. Infinitely better than that horrible place I stayed the last two days. We have three nights here and then one night in Rome. Tomorrow we’re going to Pompeii!!

No comments:

Post a Comment